Come With Us To “The Edge”…by ferry and minibus

Cape Wrath

The Most North Westerly Extreme in Mainland Scotland

We have a new website!    Please follow the link:

 

 

Cape Wrath Lighthouse

Lighthouse Tower

Built in 1828 under engineer Robert Stevenson.

Constructed from hand dressed stone and large blocks of granite quarried from Clash Carnoch.

Listed as buildings of Architectural and Historic Interest.

 

Structure

·       White Tower 20 metres high with 81 steps to the top

Elevation

·       122 meters above mean sea level

Co-ordinates

·       0580 37' 31.59" N & 0040 59' 56.10" W

Character of Light

·       Flashing (4) white every 30 seconds

Candle Power

·       204,000 candles

Nominal Range

·       24 miles (22 nautical miles)

Fog Horn

·       Siren 90 seconds 6 blasts

Cape Wrath Lighthouse

December 1828

·        The light shone for the very first time on Christmas day.


17 January 1977

·        The first helicopter relief was taken to a shore-based Scottish Lighthouse as Cape Wrath had been given “Rock” status due to the remote, isolated location which made it difficult to get to by road.

1978

·        The paraffin vapour burner was replaced by mercury vapour lamps.

January 1980

·        An electrically operated temporary power beam was installed.

December 1980

·        A completely new gearless pedestal and lamp array system was installed.

31st March 1998

·        The Lighthouse was converted to automatic status and is now remotely monitored from the Northern Lighthouse Boards offices in Edinburgh.

2001

·        The fog horn was turned off. 

1st of June 2009

·        The Ozone Café was open for business for the very first time.

Historical photo of the lighthouse

Reputably the first car to reach the lighthouse

Cape Wrath and it's Lighthouse

e-mail james.mather5038@btinternet.com

Tel: 01971 511284

Mobile: 07742 670196

Back to Top